Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Water Babies: Swimming Lessons for Babies

" Teach your children swimming, archery, and horse-riding" - Prophet Muhammad saw.




Do you know that studies has shown..

1) Babies who have been swimming during the first few years of their lives develop a greater             sense of their surroundings, and thus are already learning to be more creative and observant.

2) Experiences in water allow little ones to better develop their psychomotor skills, because there they can move more freely and begin to understand concepts of distance and movements.

3) The cardio-respiratory system is also strengthened as the baby exercises his or her heart and lungs.

4) Swimming lessons help babies become more confident and provide them with a sense of relaxation.

5) The experience also contributes to their socialization as they pass time in an environment filled with people.

6) Their bond with parents grow stronger as together they share new and rewarding experiences.

7) As infants learn to move through the water on their own, they develop an abundance of independence and self-esteem, and this further stimulates their interest in learning and experiencing new and more difficult tasks.

8) The smooth and fluid exercise in the water results in healthier naps following class. Parents have noted improved sleeping patterns throughout thr night.

(Credit from Water Babies brochure)


It has been almost a month since I enrolled my boy, Abdul Kareem Qays, to a swimming class. I found out about it when I was itching to follow my husband for his Aikido training at Sri Damansara Club. I didn't see any of the swimming instructors teaching babies/infants, but I was just trying my luck. Then one of the instructor directed me to the person in charged. I really wanted to send him for an activity, and at this early age,  swimming would be a great choice. To send to Gymboree would be a wee bit early, ye ke? he can't walk or talk...nor he can play with his peers, what he can do best now is exploring anything that come on his sight by gobbling it in his mouth...Hehe..

In my opinion, it's better to start them young, because babies are born with a reflex called bradycardic response. It allows them to hold their breath and open their eyes when being submerged. Unfortunately, the reflex will slowly be gone as they age. Plus, I heard that swimming lessons for older children are more expensive, so yeah...why not SAVE!..haha

Ok, back to the swimming class. The program was under Advanced Aquatics, lead by Ms Erika. It is held once in a week, and I chose the Sunday morning class. Parents must jump into the pool to accompany their babies...I like this kind of thing. It means it's an activity for me too. Instead we observe them having fun, I prefer TO HAVE fun WITH my boy. Baru lah namanya spending quality time together.

The first time my boy attended the class, he didn't cry at all. Luckily we exposed him to a swimming pool way earlier. So he got used to it, although occasionally he will shiver, but it won't last for long. Some of the babies in the class cried (for the first few classes), and won't let go of their parents. Maybe they felt cold ke, or they felt scared of the new environement. So the purpose of the first class was to make them feel comfortable in the water. But never to force them to stay in the water.

The next following classes, they taught us how to submerge. My son cried at first, he felt uncomfortable terminum air pool tu, eventually, with practices, Alhamdullilah, dia ok. Parents were taught to sing or make a count of 1-2-3 with the same intonation, so it is conditioned in their mind that it is time to submerge.




Next is to teach them how to float, paddle, how to jump into the water, how to hold to the side of the pool and many more. I think it may take weeks to months for my boy to actually being able to do all this. But there's nothing to worry about, after all, it is a gradual progress. I don't expect my boy to swim, I'll faint if he can do so, he is just 8 months young!..hehe.




Overall, I'm very satisfied with the class. It is something that I look forward to come the weekend. The family time...the bonding time.  Oh..minus the tanning part!..

The cost?..It is not expensive like I've imagined it before. I would say it's affordable.

I'm looking for any other activities to do with my boy(s). If you have anything in mind, do share with me :)




16 comments:

BAIZURA NATASHA said...

Wow..bestnya..umo brapa patut start introduce baby for swimming?

Tahirah A. said...

Some says 4-6weeks...tapi this class accept 6months above je..tak mcm overseas where they start earlier.

lisa lisut said...

Nice. Hubs and i introduce swimming pool to hannah when she was 4mo. Kt rumah jela tp. Hehe. Cut cost.dh byr maintenance kne la gne ye x hihi. Dia x nangis tp i tgk dia mcm tkt nk apungkn bdn tkt air msk telinga kot? Sbb i mmg failed swimming just bcz i tkt air msk telinga. Haha. Nk selam kepala pn i tkt. I tgk u n qays thn dlm air tu mmg i sah xbole buat huhu. Hubs i je bole sama2 join n i jd cameraman haha. But i stop since dia 6 bln stgh sbb flu. Tkt nk mskkan dlm pool. Now dh sihat boleh cont again hehe

Moose said...

Tahirah, are you wearing muslimah swimwear? If yes, do you mind sharing where you bought it? I am looking forward to send Aqil for his swimming class but maybe we'll wait till the weather is bit warmer. Kalau tak penatlah nak dress/undress him in thick layers of clothes tiap kali nak keluar. Hehe

Are you into yoga? Maybe both of you can join a class or two. I dunno if it's available in MSia tapi kat sini I just signed up for the classes. Not so much like adult yoga tapi adalah selit nyanyi sambil exercise. I pun baru pergi 1 class so it's too soon to tell but i read the yoga movements are good to strengthen their muscle, prevent colic & promote baby's awareness. I join just to kill the time. Hehe

Anonymous said...

hi, interested to enroll my son to swimming class with professinal and certified instructor...can you share the contact numberand the fee structures?

Balkidz Hunny said...

ohh so cute lah Qays swimming.
Best lah ade instructor. I selalu papa Isya je dok bwk die, tp tu pun dah jarang sekarang.
How i wish kat sini ada swimming class for infant or babies. huh.
nanti update lagi ape Qays dah pandai after 4-6 weeks ehh. upload lah video sekali babe!

Aneesa said...

Ho can you pls share where is this? Location and number. I'm interested as well

iJu said...

Assalam,

Nak tanya. Kat mane tempat ni? Boleh share?

Tq

Anonymous said...

May I know the fees and contact number for this class tak :-)

Puteri said...

Hello!

I saw your pictures on IG and bumped into your blog ni.
My son is also with Advanced Aquatics (but he's 5yo now).

I'm thinking on enrolling the little bro (now 20 months) to the swimming class too after reading your entry ni.

Thanks!

http://pu3natul.com/2013/03/03/iys-new-swimming-class/

Tahirah A. said...

Lisa..if I tinggal condo pon I will use the facilities..dah bayar kan..plus it's not cheap. Apungkan badan Kat air tu it's a bit difficult..even my boy refused. I think because they're not used to it lagi..they don't feel safe lagi kot. In the class, there's this one 6mo baby who can float by herself..setiap Kali dia float dia Akan nangis. But I'm impressed to see the way she balance herself in the water.

Tahirah A. said...

No Moose..it's a normal swimming attire. Wanted to buy a Muslimah one but my husband tak Berkenan, esp the pattern of the fabric. Bunga2 la colour2 Bagai..tapi I pnh tgk Ada minah Arab ni Pakai cantik pulak..hehe.. Btw, muslimah swimwear is like everywhere skrg..speedo and ogival pon ada.

Yoga? Sound interesting..did aqil enjoy his yoga session?..I know dekat Fit For Two dekat bangsar Ada class for mommy and baby, but most of it are during weekdays..so Susah la..

Blog about it la..the changes that you can see etc. my boy after swimming terus tido..kadang2 tgh makan boleh terlelap..hehe

Tahirah A. said...

Anon, Aneesa, Iju- the Sunday class is at Sri KDU International school. Other class I'm not too sure..the person that incharge is Ms Erika 0123316372. The fees is RM480 for 10 session.

Balkidz-video? Haha..confirm I tak reti..hehe

Puteri-hi .. IG? Yeah..I updated on his swimming progress most on IG. Easy..snap a pic then I'm done. Hehe.. Advance Aquatic memang reliable kan.. :)

i.z.m.a said...

I do teach my lil dotter masuk pool since she is 6 month. skang dah setahun, pantang nampak pool mula terlompat2 nak terjun terus. tapi baru 2-3 kali je try submerge dia. abah dia sibuk suruh benam, tapi being a mom kan banyak sangat la risaunya.. hehehe

Tahirah A. said...

That's good!..before pg class, my husband takut nak submerge kan dia, but now he can do superman dive..hehe. And neck floaties adalah diharamkan..hehe..

The wife said...

Tahirah, is it okay to put babies on chlorine water?