Pages

Monday, October 8, 2012

Confinement and tukang urut

I got few emails asking about my confinement experience..and urut services. Nothing extraordinary pon so I didn't plan to blog..

To tell you the truth, I did not follow a proper confinement or pantang as we all like to call it.. I couldn't be bothered to follow cos it's killing meeee!!

Wearing socks in the scorching heat of a typical Malaysia afternoon??..unless if I felt cold then I'll wear..so to please everybody, I wear slippers instead of socks.

No aircond cos baby tak tahan sejuk??..lagi la I cannot tahan.. Suddenly when the baby first reach home after being discharged from the hospital dia tak tahan sejuk is it??..sedangkan hospital satu building aircond..even NICU pon ber-aircond. First night at home, me and husband quietly turn on the aircond when everyone fast asleep..Alhamdulillah, my baby can tahan until now..hehe..we all ni tido dah la pasang aircond, kipas pon we leave it on..baru sedap tido..but I'll make sure my baby is fully covered..

Cannot drink ice water??..3rd day of pantang, my husband curi-curi gave me Pepsi..heaven!!!!..I won't drink air with ice, asal kan a bit sejuk, I'm happy..at the same time, I'll drink air suam biasa about 2-3L per day. Milk production memang superb and I felt well hydrated..my mom awal-awal bising, sampai kan dia dah penat nasihat, then dia biarkan je..hehe.. Tapi depan MIL I tak berani..lol..

Pantang cannot go out??..first week pantang I was off to the Curve. Bukan jalan saja-saja but I had to go Mothercare to buy nursing bra. Nobody told me I needed a nursing bra before, so kira emergency la..lol. Second and 3rd week dah pg KLCC..I will go out if I'm bored and needed to buy stuff, tapi sebenarnya banyak jalan will make you feel tired easily..so during pantang, I prefer to stay home.

Food?..awal-awal je berjaga. My mother getting tired of me asking can I makan this? Or that? And why I cannot makan this and that?..haha..but dia pon bukanla strict sangat, she let me eat but in a small portion. But I memang requested sup sayur sawi and ikan/ayam everyday cos it suits my taste bud..nasi lemak pon I makan during pantang!

But in terms of food I can understand why the elderly ask to pantang.. Cos they don't want babies to get colic. Alhamdulillah after one episode of bad colic that my son had (I've blogged about it last month), he never experienced any..no gripe water, no tuam2 or anything..Alhamdulillah..tapi I still tak jaga my food pon.. Infact during pantang, once in 2 week I had McD. Bulan Ramadhan kan, easier for my husband to go through drive-thru je.

Well..kesimpulannya, I'm a very stubborn daughter..haha. Even my sister pon nagged at me for not pantang properly.. People said, it's better to pantang cos kesannya you akan rasa bila dah tua nanti. Orang tua-tua cakap, bersalin ni putus urat seribu dalam badan..sbb tu orang tua-tua selalu complaint angin-angin satu badan..hehe. Takut jugak I dengar, tak pe la. I plan to exercise pon everyday and plan to bring my son for classes at FitForTwo, hopefully it helps.

In terms of confinement lady, I did not have one cos my mom took care of me and she did a splendid job. In return, I bought her a Coach bag..I know she didn't expect anything in return, but I feel like expressing my gratitude to her. She love the bag as much as I do!..nanti boleh pinjam ye ibu..haha.

Hmm..I also drank Gamat Gamogem cos MIL suruh.. Hehe. But I know Gamat has been proven to help in healing process. So minum je la..

For urut services, I took a package from Tanamera PostNatal care services. It covers urut, tungku, and body scrub. I took for 5 days..3 days during the first week of pantang..another 2 as penutup. In between, I hired this Indonesian lady who is well known around Damansara area and a few VIPs.

Tanamera urut lady was good. If you want like a spa-type of massages, you can try it. While this Indon lady, she's good in urut as in she help to reduce muscle soreness. She even helped me with bengkak susu. Tapi bila part dia nak urut for 'naik kan peranakan', @!£@%#...sakit gila!!

Since I didn't take any jamu, she persuaded me to try hers. Few of my friends tried it before and they said it helped to increase their milk supply. I was convinced to try hers cos her almost 10th decade old mother who is in Indonesia made it herself, and it doesn't have preservative, so you need to keep it in a fridge. A bit mahal, for about 10 days it cost me RM80. I didnt experienced any hot flushes or anything, and my baby didn't get any jaundice/colic, Alhamdulillah..the smell pon very nice, coffea-scented. For massages, I paid her about RM80 per session, and had her for a week..cheaper than Tanamera, which cost about RM180 per session.

Well..urut-urut ni memang sedap, but after a while, I get bored. It's time consuming. Lama-lama tu I jadi malas. Sometimes while tengah urut my baby lapar, then kena stop to nurse him. Plus, I have to wake up early cos the urut lady will come about 10am everyday.. So yeah, 10 is a bit early for me..haha..

I'm not saying that pantang is not good..I think the elderly practiced it decades ago cos they want to help mothers to loose weight faster (by eating non-oily food), prevent babies to get colic, or prevent any allergy so it won't cause itchiness to the scar, and to help hasten the healing process.

Pantang or not, as long as the mother and baby is healthy, should be ok. What a mother who just gave birth need is good nutritious food and enough rest so she can enjoy her baby. Do what you think is right for..and what is comfortable for you.

What say you? :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

10 comments:

dytia said...

I pun pantang koboi.. No socks.. Kipas full speed mandi tgh mlm pun ada.. My MIL pening ok tgk I haha.. I had mcD prosperity burger time pantang - at least it's blackpepper.. I think being medical background - its easier to be stubborn n refuse to observe pantang properly anyway because we feel we know better

My usual come back bila org tegur - all makcik2 skrg pantang strict x ada epidural mkn jamu t bila tua sakit2 blkg gak badan naik gak..

Mmg degil.. Haha

bunga daisy said...

i wonder org mat salleh pantang mcm mane?

LisaLisut said...

i agree with u tahirah hehe.all the points! i pn sama degilnya dlm follow2 pun. i liat nk pakai socks and bengkung.panas n rimas.i pakai 2weeks then after that on off.lol. rumah mak i mmg xde aircond so i sgt lah panas peluh2 ok.kalau pantang rumah sndri dh lama i beraircond haha.abis pantang balik rumah mmg tdo malam air cond n kipas on smpi pg! hehe.

ais i xberani tp air sjuk i berani.mak n husband i pn kasi i rs skit2 air soda masa pantang.setakat satu teguk xde hal la.eh,jamu tu utk tmbh susu? mana nk dpt lg?huhu.interested :D

BakeRanZa said...

Tahirah,

Boleh share the details of the urut lady? I pun tengah dalam pantang & searching for someone yg can urut within Damansara/ Bdr Utama area. You can email to ezza.ibrahim@gmail.com

Thanks"

honey bedazzled said...

masa urut i dah pump susu siap siap bagi baby. so my mum feed my baby. so faster unitterupted urut time

Tahirah A. said...

eida- i pon mandi malam..my mom hari2 tegur. my MIL lagi la...haha. tapi dgn MIL takut...lol

daisy- im quite sure they dont pantang

lisa- gimme five...stubborn dotter both u and i..lol

bakeranza - will do. sorry for the delay

honey - i tak ajar my baby drink from the bottle lagi time tu.. i wish to teach the next one early :)

Moose said...

No traditional pantang for me maklym duduk overseas kan & what's with my baby being warded & all and some more my husband doesnt believe in pantang2 ni. Dia cakap mat saleh tak pantang sihat walafiat & hot je body, lol.

Hari ke 5-6 camtu i dah pakai jeans leceh kot nak pakai kain batik dekat ward. But i force my husband to cook me nutritious food & i ate protein, gamat gel & chicken essence like nobody's business & after a week i think the stitches are already healed. I wore sweater & socks religiously cos it's getting colder nowadays. Hehe

Bengkung semua tu i think i'll wait for mil sampai sini kot. Macam leceh je i nak buat sorg2 dgn nak susukan baby lagi.

Oh btw, nanti when i'll back, nakla contact no the indon confinement ladybtu.

Anonymous said...

Can u share the urut lady contact to rachelwsl@hotmail.com? Thanks

nurul said...

Salam..bleh mtk number indonesian lady yg urut tu?emel to nurulhazreen@gmail.com
Tq yaaa

kennes said...

Hihi, I'm looking for a Urut lady I'm due on May. Can u give me ur Urut lady contact number? My email add is kennes.chong@gmail.com Terima kasih banyak banyak